Unintentionally Natural: Our Crazy Fast, Super Intense Birth Story...

So, in hindsight, I probably could have left for the hospital earlier or maybe could have paid attention to the irregularly paced Braxton Hicks, but all of my other kids were born between 11-12 hours.  Surely this one would be the same.

Missed Signs?
I should have known something was up.   Saturday was...annoying.  It was hot and the baby had dropped fairly low.  I honestly wasn't too excited about going to Bug's game, but I haven't missed one yet and I wasn't about to start that day.  It was hot and sticky and humid,even inside the gym, but I was there.  Bug had a good game, delivering a crucial steal in the game and garnering some self-confidence in the process.  I was so proud of him.  His sister,  A. had been clingy all day...super clingy and whiny.  I remember saying "The baby must be coming soon because you are acting a mess".  Truthfully, I didn't really believe that.  I was certain I would go about the 5th or 6th as that was typically how my pregnancies worked out.  Boy was I wrong.

Bug and his team won their game and were now headed to the playoffs scheduled for the next Saturday.  We spent another twenty minutes or so with S. giving Bug some after game coaching instruction and then headed for something to eat.
Congratulations, team!
When we got home, A. was still pretty clingy and crying so S. decided to put her to bed early.  We sat down and watched a movie as a family and then everyone started calling it a night.  S. and Bug left to help my FIL with some business and I settled down in the bed not concerned because I knew they would be back before too long.

Is that a Contraction?
For some reason I couldn't get comfortable.  I felt pretty tiny menstrual like cramps, but they weren't intense or in any pattern.  I'd been having them off and on for the week and decided I'd pull out the Full Time app just to start monitoring.  I started at 1:40 a.m., shortly before S. and Bug had returned from working.  I remember telling S. that the baby would probably be born today, but to try and get some sleep because the contractions weren't really steady and I'd just labor a bit before going to the hospital.  After all, we always have plenty of time.

My contractions were recording three and four minute frequency, but not consistently.  Sometimes there would be a 3 minute contraction.  Then the next would be seven minutes.  About 3:30PM, I noticed I had to breathe through them, but again I could still walk and talk through them and wasn't vocalizing. S. asked if I was okay and I told him I was fine.  I tossed and turned in the bed for another few minutes and thought, you know what I need to get up.   I got up to head to the shower and noticed that S. got up too.  He was packing his bag while I went into the bathroom.  Suddenly something shifted.  In the bathroom toilet I noticed the bloody show in the bowl.  CRAP!  I knew that, for me, means it is time to call the doctor.  I grabbed a very quick shower and called the doctor.  By now, it was getting difficult to talk through the contractions.

The doctor was the on call doctor who'd delivered baby A. two years ago.  In the increasing pain, it didn't register that I wasn't speaking to my Obstetrician, so I was answering his questions, but calling him ma'am.  He asked how far along were the contractions, how far in the pregnancy I was, which pregnancy this was, and then noted that I had to stop talking several times because of the contractions and told me to come on into Labor and Delivery to be checked.  Guys, I still didn't realize how limited I was on time.

I hung up the phone and managed to dress while vocalizing through painful contractions.  In my mind, I was thinking of how painful these contractions were compared to my last delivery.  By this time, S. had come out of the bathroom (he'd showered as well).  I don't know if he heard me yell "hurry up" through the door, but I am pretty sure I yelled it.

We went immediately downstairs and I told him to take the SUV because the sedan seemed to low on the ground.  That turned out to be great advice because we hit EVERY pothole and I was NOT happy at all.  Not even out the neighborhood, S. turned around to get the bluetooth speaker because we'd originally planned on worship music playing in the background.  I remember thinking "we won't need it.  We need to go".  But I was in trying to keep my mind relaxed mode.  Deep in my core, I knew something was off.

As we reached the emergency room, I had a particularly hard contraction and I swore to myself I felt the baby come down some with it.  Then I got very nauseous and shaky.  Guys, I ONLY get nauseous and shaky in transition.

You're Complete.
The nurse who wheeled me to Labor and Delivery completely bypassed Triage.  She told the admitting desk that I'd had three hard contractions in the time it had taken her to wheel me to the area.  She also told them I was in a lot of pain and said something that didn't compute at first because of the pain I was in.  She said, "I'm not sure there's time".

In the laboring room, another nurse checked me and first said I was at an 8 (WHAT!?!), but then said that she was mistaken and I was 6 cm dilated.  I asked for a bag because I was so nauseous and couldn't stop vomiting. (This was a bad sign and I knew it).   I also immediately asked for the epidural, but in that hospital you must complete a bag of intravenous fluids and have blood drawn before it can be administered.  The bag was started when I turned to S. who had his head resting against mine trying to will me his strength.  I told him that I didn't think I would be able to get the epidural and suddenly the pain cranked to a level where I couldn't stop screaming, shaking, and hurting.  I'd never experienced pain like that and I felt like I need to poop BADLY.

The nurse checked me again and said, "Oh, Honey. Yeah, you're complete".  I'd only been in the room twelve minutes and I'd gone from 6 to 10 cm.  I asked weakly if that meant I wouldn't be able to have the epidural and when she confirmed, I broke down in tears.  I knew there was no way I could do this naturally.

Baby comes Quick
By now, I'm screaming bloody murder with no shame in my game.  I tried negotiating with the nurses for something, anything to take away the pain.  No can do they all said.  It would be a risk to the baby.  They all laughed when I said I was willing to take the risk and sign off on it.  They didn't realize I was serious.

The nurses tried to calm me including one who told me that I had to focus.  Bump a focus.  It's supposed to feel better when you push.  It absolutely did not.  I remember yelling at S. not to touch me and then telling him twenty seconds later to touch me because I couldn't feel him.  There was a HUGE urge to bear down and suddenly my amniotic sac burst EVERYWHERE.  I heard a nurse say there was "thick mec" and I asked if I heard her say that meconium was in the rupture.  She looked at me and nodded.  Well, crap.  As much pain as I was in, I needed to get baby out.

The doctor was in front of me and I heard him give the instruction to push, but I was already there.  One fierce and crazy yell and a giant push, and out came my baby!

Now understand, I was so exhausted that while I knew baby was out, I didn't really care whether it was a boy or girl.  I just assumed it was a girl.  Then one of the nurses said "let her husband turn the baby".  S. did so and we saw a penis.  Our baby was a BOY!  The nurses rushed him to the isolet and checked him over.  I was so worried he would have to be moved to the NICU, but thank God, he was fine!

The Aftermath
We arrived at the hospital at 6AM and were upstairs by 6:20AM.  Our son was born at 7:25AM.  He was a healthy 6 pounds, 12 ounces, and 21 inches long.  This is the smallest baby I've ever birthed and by far the quickest delivery I have ever experienced.

Despite the craziness of the morning, I did not tear nor require any stitches.  He was given to Dad (if I remember correctly) while the doctor helped me expel the placenta.  I was super exhausted and can't remember too much after that.

This birth was seriously the most intense that I have ever had, but I am truly thankful that the baby is here and is healthy.

His name is Jeremiah.  I shall refer to him as J on the site.

Thank you guys for thoughts and prayers.


No comments