A Zika Delay


So, I’ve been super excited for weeks ready for Aunt Flow to arrive so we can get this show on the road, as it were. I’ve been ready to take these little pills and go in for monitoring and getting myself where I need to be. Last night, my cycle began with first full flow started today. I was super excited. I even let out a “YAY!” when she arrived, which is saying something when I used to curl up in a ball and sob upon seeing her. It was going to be a great day! That was before the phone call and this morning’s conversation.

My favorite nurse, Nurse A., called and asked the preliminary questions to determine when we would tentatively schedule transfer for next month and asked for unavailable dates. S. recently booked a couples’ trip for us and several of our in love couples for the Caribbean next month and those dates would most certainly be out. Nurse A. faltered just a bit and then said that the region we would be visiting has a Zika warning. I’d checked the state department site and WHO and, while there was an advisory, the warning was for more desolate areas. Still, there was no mistaking the possibility. Because the trip would be around the time my body would need us to transfer, we can’t transfer until next month at earliest. BUT I would have to sign a waiver acknowledging that I know the risks associated with Zika and its defects.

Instantly, I was worried and felt a myriad of emotions. I am aware that the possibility is minor, but it’s a risk I don’t want to take. Because the trip was made and locked on already, there is no cancellation. So, it must occur or I must remain stateside (which I’m not entirely opposed to). Still, there are other options. Options of delay. We can:

  • test when we return from the trip, receive a clean bill of health, then wait three more weeks and test again before proceeding with transfer
  • not test and wait 8 weeks (the time it takes the virus if present to exit a female’s body) and then proceed with transfer making sure any intercourse S. and I have for the next 6 months is protected. OR
  • not test and not wait and transfer as soon as possible.
I don’t want to do the latter. I think it’s better to err on the side of caution. The last time I went to this particular region, I was attacked mercilessly by the mosquitos at night and I would hate to have the same experience again fearing for the safety of my next child. So, of course, you know I want to wait.

But true waiting means an October transfer. I am perfectly fine with October. It also allows for a little prep time though I am ready to go right now. So, here we are. On the crossroads on a necessary decision. Keep us in prayer, guys.  This one will surely require it.

-K

No comments